The Department of Medicine (DOM) follows an established procedure for promotions for both clinical and academic faculty. The timelines respect deadlines set by the Alpert Medical School’s
Office of BioMed Faculty Affairs (BMFA).
Candidates update their CV in the Brown format. Applicant emails CV to his/her Division Director (the Executive Chief of Medicine at Care New England and the Chief of Medical Service at the VA should initiate promotion for faculty based at those hospitals). Division Director will send candidate’s CV with a letter proposing faculty member for promotion to Tricia Meehan by March 15th. The letter should describe how the candidate meets promotion criteria (see promotion criteria). The letter and CV will then be sent to Chair of the Department of Medicine Promotions Committee, Dr. Karen Tashima, and Chairman of Medicine, Dr. Louis Rice, for approval. For the clinical tracks, teaching evaluations and a breakdown of teaching hours should be included with the Director’s letter and CV. The breakdown of hours must show a minimum of 100 hours for the Clinical track and 200 hours for the Clinician Educator track.
Dr. Tashima and Dr. Rice will need to approve before candidates begin working on the final dossier as outlined below.
Candidates Approved to Go Forward
May 15th Email Final Dossier to Tricia Meehan TMeehan@Lifespan.org as below
- CV with any changes requested
- Personal Statement (1-2 pages) summarize teaching/research philosophy, mission and goals and may call attention to recent teaching accomplishments and scholarly activities. Candidates must include at least a paragraph detailing activities that demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Examples of diversity, equity, and inclusion activities.
- Referee names – Referee requirements
- Teaching evaluations (from last 5 years) Provide a Table of Contents and group by kind of evaluation – student, house staff, peer, etc. A summary sheet from the evaluation system (OASIS, E-Value, Innovations, etc.) is required for evaluations. Evaluations are not required for candidates in the (Research) track
- Applicant’s “Web of Science” The DOM promotions committee requires a Web of Science Citation Report showing H index for candidates in the (Research) and Research Scholar tracks. Candidates can access Web of Science by signing into the Brown Library.
- Teaching Hour Breakdown required for both Clinical and Clinician Educator tracks
Following submission of dossier, referee letters will be solicited to prepare for DOM Promotions Committee review. Candidate will be notified when the committee will evaluate
the dossier and will be invited to provide a CV update for the committee at that time. Candidate will be contacted following the review and informed of the results. The approved dossier will be forwarded to Brown for review by the Committee on Medical Faculty Affairs (CMFA).