The medical care of the obstetric patient is a rewarding and stimulating field of internal medicine that is becoming increasingly important as women delay childbearing and more women with medical problems become pregnant. However, training in internal medicine rarely includes significant exposure to pregnant patients. As a result, most internists are not well prepared to evaluate and manage medical problems in pregnant patients or those contemplating pregnancy, nor are they familiar with the future health risks portended by pregnancy complications.
The Women & Infants Obstetric & Consultative Medicine Fellowship is designed to provide the board-eligible or board-certified internist specialized training in the clinical care, teaching, and research of medical complications of pregnancy. The fellowship draws on the many talents of the Division of Obstetric & Consultative Medicine’s uniquely qualified internists and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University’s obstetric medicine and ob/gyn programs to provide fellows with a stimulating, two-year experience in obstetric medicine.
Fellows work in both the inpatient and outpatient settings on the Obstetric & Consultative Medicine Service at Women & Infants Hospital to:
- acquire knowledge in the physiology of normal pregnancy and the pathophysiology of diseases occurring in pregnancy and postpartum
- learn to diagnose and treat medical complications of pregnancy
- learn to be an effective consultant to obstetricians and gynecologists and other internists and subspecialists
- develop practical teaching skills through the supervision and teaching of residents and medical students
- participate in twice weekly conference and/or journal club
- participate in the weekly Specialty Care in Pregnancy Program (SCIPP) Conference and Clinic(a multidisciplinary conference that discusses preconception counseling for non-pregnant women and recommends a plan of care for women whose pregnancy or postpartum care is complicated by a medical condition in neurology, infectious disease, cardiology, hematology, endocrinology, rheumatology or gastroenterology)
Fellows also participate in research and will complete a research project in the area of medical problems in pregnancy. With the assistance of a faculty advisor, it is expected that the work will be presented at a national meeting and publishable in a peer review journal.
There are regularly scheduled learning opportunities through:
- a weekly fellows lecture series
- fellows case presentations
- fellows research meetings
- journal club
- Rhode Island Hospital Internal Medicine Grand Rounds
- Ob/Gyn grand rounds
- medical and sub specialty consultation clinics
- opportunities to enroll in Brown University courses in biostatistics and epidemiology
attendance at national meetings such as the Society of Obstetric Medicine, American College of Physicians, Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, and the Society of General Internal Medicine
Women & Infants Hospital, a Care New England hospital, is a major teaching affiliate of The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Women & Infants has been awarded designations and honors for dedication to health care of women and infants:
- A top hospital in gynecology (ranked 19th in the nation) and Best Children’s Hospital in neonatology (ranked 34th ) in the U.S. News 2011-12 Best Hospitals;
- High-performing in cancer, U.S. News 2011-2012
- Ranked #1 hospital in the Providence metro area (including Providence and Pawtucket, RI and Fall River and New Bedford, MA) in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals metro area rankings;
- Five-star rating in Maternity Care for 2011 by HealthGrades, the nation’s most trusted, independent source of physician information and hospital quality outcomes
This commitment to excellence extends to our training of medical students, residents and fellows. With 167 beds, Women & Infants Hospital is the 7th largest obstetrical service in the country and the busiest in New England. Women & Infants has the largest single-family room NICU in the country. In 2010 more than 8,500 deliveries were recorded, of which approximately 14% were classified as high risk. The Women’s Primary Care Center is the site of comprehensive primary and specialized care services for women. In combination with the Division of Ambulatory Care’s urgent care services, more than 63,000 patient visits were recorded for 2010.
Women & Infants Hospital is situated on the campus of Rhode Island Hospital, and together the two hospitals form the largest tertiary care referral center in Rhode Island and southeastern New England. It is the site of the only obstetrics and gynecology residency in the state, as well as ob/gyn fellowships such as maternal-fetal medicine, gynecologic oncology, and urogynecology and reconstructive pelvic surgery and breast disease, and reproductive endocrinology and infertility.
To begin the application process:
- Click here to download a PDF version of our Fellowship Application
- Print the application form and complete it in its entirety. Please be sure to include your home phone number, pager number or cell phone number.
- Include your current curriculum vitae and a personal statement (not to exceed one typed page).
- Submit the application via US Postal Service or any overnight delivery service to the Program Director:
Dr. Srilakshmi Mitta, Attention Fran Niang
Women & Infants Hospital
Department of Medicine, 3rd Floor
101 Dudley Street
Providence, RI 02905
- Your application should not be sent via e-mail as your signature is require.
- Three professional letters of reference should be sent to the Director under separate cover.
Successful fellow candidates will demonstrate evidence of promise as a clinician, an educator and independent investigator in the area of consultative and obstetric medicine. All applications will be reviewed, and all candidates will be notified regarding their suitability for an interview with the obstetric medicine team.
For More Information
For further information regarding the Women & Infants Fellowship in Obstetric & Consultative Medicine, contact:
Srilakshmi Mitta, MD
Obstetric & Consultative Medicine
Women & Infants Hospital
101 Dudley Street, 3rd floor Suite 335
Providence, RI 02905
(401) 274-1122, extension 41925